Suitable D600 Alternative When Size/Weight Are An Issue

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
nrshapiro
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?
Re: Suitable D600 Alternative When Size/Weight Are An Issue
In reply to Brad Davis, Mar 28, 2013

I've been going through the exact same thing for an upcoming trip (and I also have a D600 + 16-35).  Just too heavy with that and the 28-300.

Before that, my D7000 kit had been pretty good for travel.  The D7000 + Sigma 10-20 + Nikon 10.5 + Nikon 18-200.  I can squeeze that in a Tamrac Velocity 6, which is the size of a woman's small sling purse.  Really a pleasure to carry.

I've also experimented and purchased a G5 when it was on sale.  The camera is pretty nice...very close to the D7000 in quality and the focusing system is better.  I was surprised how much I like the viewfinder--feels as big as a full frame viewfinder, and you get more feedback than you do with a pentaprism.  I've held back though on completing that system because I think the lenses are way overpriced for what they are.  Especially the 7-14mm, which is the range I like to shoot at (14-28).

So I think for my trip I'm going back to the D7000 kit.  I would lighten it a bit and up resolution with the D5200 maybe...the swivel LCD is tempting.  However, instead, I was tempted by the no AA filter on the D7100 and I'm trying one out now.  Seems like a nice upgrade from the D7000 (noise levels about the same IMHO, but more resolution).  Though I lose out on the swivel LCD which is pretty nice for landscapes (I often shoot low to the ground).

I still need to find a compact tripod.  I have an old one that's really small, but I don't fully trust it.

Honestly, if you really want to go small, and you're shooting mostly low ISO, you could opt for the Sony RX100.  I bought one last year, and it's a wonderful camera.  At base ISO, with that very sharp lens, it's as good as any DSLR (sometimes I think the detail is even better).  The sweep panorama feature works very well for quick, easy panoramas (though you don't get as much resolution as a manually stitched one).  You can use a carryspeed magnetic adapter to hold a polarizer on, and you're set to go...at a VERY low carry weight and in your pocket!  And 20mp to boot.  The only problem is that it doesn't go wide enough (and high ISO isn't nearly as good as an SLR or the G5).

I've thought about bringing that only to the G.C.  But it's my first trip there, and I want to get the best shots I can, even if I trade for a bit more weight.

nrshapiro's gear list:nrshapiro's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D600 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow