Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SimonV
Regular MemberPosts: 182Gear list
Like?
Sony RX100 vs Fujifilm X100, pocketability issue
Mar 28, 2013

I'm currently contemplating buying a used RX100 to be my "always with me" camera. I'm using a NEX-5N with a 24mm Zeiss for critical quality shots.

I've previously owned the Fuji X100 and liked it a lot, but I sold it with my 5d Mark II hoping to get all I need in the NEX. Otherwise it would be my everyday camera, but with the Zeiss it just isn't pocketable.

I've borrowed an RX100 from a friend, and trying it out as we speak.

There's one thing I'm wondering about regarding pocketability, and that's the blades protecting the lens (those which open upon startup and close on shutdown). They're loose (as normal in cameras like this) and thus having the camera in your trouser pocket could easily lead to them sliding about when they touch something in the pocket.

Does anyone have any experience/information about how bad this would be for the camera, could it potentially be harmful to the mechanism, since the blades are mechanical? I haven't tried the pocketability yet, but if I buy one of my own, it must go in my pocket as is, and not with a protective case or anything (the Sony leather case adds enough thickness to make it close to the Fuji X100.

Thanks!

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow