What would be a good basic lens collection?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
happysnapper64
Senior MemberPosts: 4,215Gear list
Like?
Re: What would be a good basic lens collection?
In reply to GreenMountainGirl, Mar 28, 2013

Hi Sue. I see by your first post that you prefer to stay with Nikon lenses. if you still want to go that way, then fair enough. I have Canon gear & love the Canon lenses I have. I did, however consider 3rd party lenses before buying, & would suggest you do the same before shelling out a lot of cash for another lens. Someone suggested that one of the criterea would be image quality. This is a very personal thing I find. I went looking for a long lens for birding last year, & the shop I go to had a few for me to try. I decided to go with the versitility of a zoom, & narrowed it down to 2. Canon 100-400 used for £1,000, or Sigma 120-400 new £645 + 3yr warranty. I took about 30-40 shots with each, outside the shop on a busy main street. Good for checking focusing on moving objects, & stabilization on stationary ones, colour rendition etc. I checked the images on my laptop when I got home, & could not tell which lens took which shot. I bought the Sigma. I am happy with most of the images I have taken with it, vast majority of poor ones have been down to my bad technique. I have no doubt that some of the camera manufacturers lenses are superior. It's often a case of is it worth the extra cost? You could try hiring for a couple days. Might avoid an expensive mistake. [& a divorce!! :-(]

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow