as an owner of an DMC FZ 200...

Started Dec 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mikedigi
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,433Gear list
Like?
To be honest, I'm not completely sure why I've got one . .
In reply to Geka, Mar 28, 2013

Geka wrote:

would you recommend this camera to your best friend ?

Only if he's a keen photographer or, at the other end of the spectrum, is blind to imperfections.

For SOOC JPEGs, it is unforgiving and demands patient attention to settings and, especially, to correct exposure, where the range of good exposure is less than +/- 0.33 EV.

Therefore a lot of knowledgeable people only shoot low-settings, slightly under-exposed "RAW JPEGs" and PP them all.

Other knowledgeable people only shoot RAW, put up with the enormous file sizes and hassle and tell the rest of us that this is the only sensible way to go.

Why do I have one?  I'm not quite sure, but I guess it's mainly because, if I want this lens, I have nowhere else to go.

But do I want the lens because it's cool, and one-up-on-others, or because I really need it?

But I am seriously wondering whether to sell it while it still has value, i.e. before Panny or Fuji or someone else puts a more forgiving suite of goodies behind a constant f2.8 lens.

I understand why extreme birders and extreme safari buffs get far more than I do out of the FZ200 . . . it works best when zoomed in on an interesting animal or bird or art-form where the long zoom/f2.8 is key.  I don't point it at more general subjects or landscapes with the same feeling of expectant confidence.

Mike

Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow