Blogger Ming Thein: GH3 a "consumer appliance"

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,070Gear list
Like?
Re: His "review" more like "first impressions"
In reply to marike6, Mar 28, 2013

marike6 wrote:

When I read his comments about the GH3, it was obvious that he was out of his element.  The GH3 is a hybrid camera, and IMHO, if you no nothing about video, you really should either pass on reviewing the camera or review it only as a photographic tool.

Here the "reviewer" is trying his best to sound like he knows what he's talking about:  "The target market of videographers are bound to be unhappy as rolling shutter artefacts are terrible."

In contrast, from Andrew Reid at EOSHD, someone who actually does know about HDSLR video cameras:

"It is the best DSLR for 1080/60p and 50p and rolling shutter. The skew and jello of a rolling shutter is considerably reduced especially if shooting 60/50p. This is an advantage over the Blackmagic Cinema Camera which has a much more severe rolling shutter. The codec is 50Mbit in these modes, much higher than the 28Mbit you get on the $4500 Sony FS100. The GH3 is $1299. The image is far nicer than all the current NEX cameras (7, 5N, 5R, 6 and VG-900)."

The above quote is from this article at EOSHD:

http://www.eoshd.com/content/9264/panasonic-gh3-my-short-test-civilian

Andrew Reid has promised to post his review of the GH3 soon. I'm looking forward to reading it.

So you see that rolling shutter has actually been reduced.  But rolling shutter is one thing that camera geeks talk about to make themselves sound smart, but for professional videographers, unless you are filming a lot of movement, it just is not a major issue.

For someone who wants GH2 level video quality, with the added bonus of 1080p60, and the essential addition of the headphone jack for audio monitoring (a feature missing on the GH2), but with dramatically better still IQ and a more robust build quality, the GH3 is a no-brainer.

I love my GH2, but as a still camera, it's not wonderful.  With good lenses, it's capable of good IQ. But let's be honest, the sensor is not wonderful.   So if all the wonderful technology in the GH3 makes it feel like "a consumer appliance" to some blogger, so be it.  I couldn't possibly care less.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow