SohoAperture
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
Re: Tripod recommendations for a 5D Mk3 + 70-200 F2.8
In reply to StefanJ, Mar 28, 2013

StefanJ wrote:

SohoAperture wrote:

SwedishGoose wrote:

I have a Manfrotto 055XPROB with a Manfrotto 498RC2 ball head.Granted I don't have 5D3 oor the 70-200 f2.8.

I have used it with both a 400D with grip and a 6D with a Tokina 400 f5.6 as the largest lens.

I like it a lot. It is very flexible, the middle column can be used vertically and even turned upside down. The maximun height is very good. It is sturdy and I have not had any issues with it so far.

The only thing is that it is quote heavy but then a Carbon Fibre is much more expensive...

-- hide signature --

Hi,

Thanks for the response

Strangely enough that was one of the combinations i was looking at (Amazon sell them both as a combo)

The 055 series seem very sturdy and well built and i have not seen much better for the price (but I am limited to physically looking at what my local camera store offers)

i also love how the carbon version is really light but for my usage i don't know whether i would benefit from it to justify the extra cost over the 055XPROB

If you have the cash I can wholeheartedly recommend 055CXPRO4 + 498RC2. It's light, sturdy and can take the weight easily. I was contemplating the higher cost before buying, but now I am glad I didn't skimp on the tripod, especially if you have a good packing of gear (or other things) with you.

I find it light enough for street photography as well. I got the Dörr Action M bag and I can have it on my back and almost forget about it.

EDIT: Forgot to say that I do have the 5D3 + 70-200/2.8L II IS

Just out of interest why the CXPRO4 rather than the CXPRO3?  Is it purely down to the size when travelling?  Do you find it just as sturdy as a three section leg?

SohoAperture's gear list:SohoAperture's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow