What would be a good basic lens collection?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
GreenMountainGirl
Contributing MemberPosts: 632Gear list
Like?
Re: What would be a good basic lens collection?
In reply to Kokeen4231, Mar 28, 2013

Kokeen4231 wrote:

As a basic lens collection, I would recommend starting with three lenses.

1) Wide angle lens for landscape. Tokina 11-16 F2.8. I personally feel the need for wide angles whenever you are on trips and just want some scenery. The f2.8 in the tokina may not seem like it would be of any use for landscapes but you never know what you need.

One suggestion that I like is the Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX.  It has great wide-angle.  The f-stops don't worry me because with landscapes you are outdoors, probably plenty of available light, and can always increase ISO, exposure compensation.

I think you would be able to live with the zooms. You get slightly less sharpness and light but more versatility.

Agreed.  Will probably stick with what I have for now and build my lens collection around them.  Can always upgrade later!

Thank you for your suggestions - it isn't easy to figure out all the different lenses that are available.  And I certainly don't want to fall into the "money pit"!

Susan

-- hide signature --

GreenMountainGirl

GreenMountainGirl's gear list:GreenMountainGirl's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow