What would be a good basic lens collection?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
GreenMountainGirl
Contributing MemberPosts: 667Gear list
Like?
Re: What would be a good basic lens collection?
In reply to nelsonal, Mar 28, 2013

nelsonal wrote:

That said, I think you're well on your way to a very good basic collection.  From scratch my first choice is probably be an 18-55 and 55-200 (very similar to your 18-105 and 55-300).  I think Thom Hogan sums up my thoughts better than I would:

http://bythom.com/rationallenses.htm

Thank you for the link to Thom's article.  I spent some time yesterday going through it, and it gave me a much better idea of what to look for, what to stay away from.  He does a great job, although his website is so busy it makes it hard to wade through!

Between what I read there, and what OP have said, it seems like a good idea for now to keep what I have and build around it.

I'd supplement those with his suggested 35mm and probably a longer prime (your choice of 50, 85, or 100mm).  A 300mm is a great lens though somewhat more of a specialty lens but a fine addition to fill a role as your kit becomes more specialized.

The 35mm sounds attractive but I begin to wonder what its best uses might be.  Too short for portraits, I had the impression it could be a good walk-around lens because it is small and light and can deal with just about any light situation.

From what I have heard, the 105mm macro can double as a portrait lens, so that gives it a double purpose in my lens collection.  Since I definitely want to get into macro, it sounds like a very good investment.

The 300mm f/4 sparked my interest because it will match up with a TC and give more range.  At this point in my photography journey, I cannot see buying one of the very expensive longer focal length lenses.  I love to take pictures of the wildlife around my home and elsewhere, and my 55-300 is short for a lot of it.  There might be some short-comings when shooting birds, but hope that raising ISO and exposure compensation can help.  This investment does require some more thought...

Thank you for your suggestions.

Susan

-- hide signature --

GreenMountainGirl

GreenMountainGirl's gear list:GreenMountainGirl's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow