HS50EXR and F900EXR reviews ...

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,096Gear list
Like?
Re: part 3 -- ISO ladder
In reply to AdamT, Mar 28, 2013

AdamT wrote:

Prolly an excited user's mistake. How can we tell the accuracy of these tests if original files are not provided. Are the settings the same? Are the focus points the same?

Focus points and settings apart from Exposure and ISO are irrelevant as this is just a noise test . Kim will test the cams on Standard Image Parameters (NR, Sharpening etc) unless he`s stated otherwise , if he didn`t work like this, Manufacturers wouldn `t send him cameras .

For the ISO ladder, the cameras are all in M mode, as HR mode still is not impressing and certainly makes no sense at high ISO.

And yes, you are correct, the HS settings have been reset to mid levels so that colors and tones are what a user gets froem the box.

At ISO1600, The F770EXR looks the best of the 1/2" EXR Fujis followed by the F900 - the HS50 has too much NR , it`s not Focus issues Joms, it`s NR , the F770 Crushes it for detail - Maybe later on Kim will compare them with the NR set to LOW and see if it made the colossal difference it did with the HS20 (which was an Oil painting mess on standard NR)

I will have to perform an NR ladder etc ... yes. We need to ferret out what is happening.

It is also more important than ever to try to hack the RAW files and process them in Lightroom.

On standard settings, going by Kim's tests, I`d go for the F770 of the three Fuji Pinheads across the whole ISO range . the HS50 Obviously desperately needs the NR setting LOW

The F900 impresses me too ... great lens on this sample. Although I have not yet played with them at full wide.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow