HS50EXR and F900EXR reviews ...

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ralph McKenzie
Senior MemberPosts: 1,699Gear list
Like?
Re: Extreme zoom lenses
In reply to alexisgreat, Mar 28, 2013

Careful what you wish for Alex

I've just spent the best part of an hour looking at the images Kim posted in his tests.

So a quick summary (as I see it)

• The F900 in M mode smashes the other Fuji's including the HS50 for image quality and acuity.
  • The F770 outperforms the HS50 at high ISO, far to much clumping and lost detail in the HS50
  • The F900 holds up pretty well, but up to ISO 3200 the nod would still go to the F770. 
  • Color retention and saturation between the new Fuji's and the G5 are very even.
I'm not liking what I'm seeing here in the HS50, and Kim's tests would agree with Dave's feeling that its not that good IQ wise. If this is indeed the case and Kim's tests continue to show IQ issues with the HS50 then we have another possible Fuji lemon on our hands. At this point there is virtually nothing to convince me the the HS50 is a good buy. However some may remember the original issues Fuji had when the HS20 was introduced, with the image quality really not good enough until we had a couple of firmware updates, so all may yet not be lost. The other thing that we have yet to see is just how good a RAW shooter this camera is, and what sort of end product can be obtained. As yet this is largely unknown. Should it transpire that its an excellent RAW shooter then I for one would have to rethink a purchase of an HS50 considering how good Fuji Jpegs usually are, as I don't relish the thought of having to spend even more time on post processing images. Until I see images that can equal or exceed these from an HS50 I will retain the services of my aging HS20. So there's a challenge for you HS50 shooters. And don't use macro lenses if doing a macro, just the standard lens.

HS20 @ ISO 400 m 3:4 - 43mm EFL @ f5.0

HS20, EXR DR 4:3 @ ISO 100

-- hide signature --

Love dat Fuji
http://akiwiretrospective.wordpress.com/
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,
Pentax K1000, Pentax sf7, Pentax zx-50

Ralph McKenzie's gear list:Ralph McKenzie's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow