New image editing rig - help please! 10 bit graphics etc...

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Leon Obers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,788
Like?
Re: New image editing rig - help please! 10 bit graphics etc...
In reply to WeberPoint, Mar 28, 2013

WeberPoint wrote:

You will need an Nvidia Quattro or AMD FirePro graphics card to configure 10-bit graphics.  This is a [software] issue as both Nvidia and AMD disable 10-bit processing in their gaming cards.  You will also need to insure that whatever monitor you use is capable of supporting 10-bit.  The NEC PA series, for example, supports 10-bit if connected via display port.

Both Windows 7 and 8 support 10-bit, but only a few applications (such as Photoshop CS3 or greater) recognize and display 10-bit images.

Indeed it is not easy. Color depth is not mentioned anymore at technical resources of many web-pages from graphic cards. Neither mentioned anymore at tabs or lines within properties of used monitors within todays OS's-es as e.g. Win8.
But I doubt that you need special graphic cards like FirePro to have 10-bit color depth per channel, as most today graphic cards do have at least one or two Display-ports (1.2 spec). The specifications for a Displayport include already color depths of 6, 8, 10, 12 and 16 bits per color component.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

In my old fashioned PC's of years ago, with the most simple graphic card, I could use already 30 bit RGB (using CRT display in that time).

So how is it handled in todays graphic cards? I guess the graphic card is not the limit.
(And yes , of-course the specifications of a monitor at least has to be width enough to cover 10 bit per channel).

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow