What % of DLSR buyers stick with kit lens only?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 13,363Gear list
Like?
Re: I'd like to know too!
In reply to photosen, Mar 28, 2013

photosen wrote:

My guess is the overwhelming majority, as people tend to focus on the camera instead of the lenses.

That's true, my friend, but today's kit lens is very good compared to what it has been in the early digital days. Think about Minolta and Sony's 18-70 kit lens. It was horrible as was Canon's 18-55 non-IS. They tended to give all kit lenses a bad name for a while there, especially Canon's as they sold so many of these paper weights.

Prior to that most SLR's kit lens was a 50 f/2 or f/1.8 prime and it usually was very good like today's kit lens. Many learned on those old prime lenses and kept them. I think today's kit can be a keeper for many, especially the better kits like Nikon's 18-105 VR and possibly Canon's new 18-135 STM. They are good enough to build an APS-C kit around, I believe, especially with the better dim light charactoristics of most new cameras.

I think it's probably ok to concentrate on the body these days as it's hard to err on the glass initially. I'd love to see the slightly better cameras like the Nikon D7100 or Canon 70D be available with a kit 35 f/1.8 instead of the traditional 18-55 zoom, but it probably wouldn't sell well to the masses.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow