Some dumb questions I have been wondering about

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,540Gear list
Like?
Re: Some dumb questions I have been wondering about
In reply to Wellington100, Mar 28, 2013

Wellington100 wrote:

1) Why are camera sensors not square? Surely a square sensor is the most efficient way to get the best out of a lens?

2) Does using a Polarising filter reduce the Dynamic Range of an image taken in sunlight with a digital camera?

It should do if the polarised bright light is blocked.

3) Why do most cameras have IQ reducing AA filters when the few cameras that don't have them jump in IQ and moire is nowhere to be seen in 99.99% of the images?

Why equate resolution to IQ, surely the only resolution that is needed is the amount that is needed for the size view or print that you will reproduce, and its not just .01% that has moire problems, that is the amount of visibly annoying ones, many others will be degraded by moire but you won't notice it, and this is a real reduction in IQ.  In my view any moire is undesirable.

4) What is the optimum resolution for small camera sensors? High resolution sensors seem to add significant file size for little discernible improvement in resolution, so what is the cut off for a functional and well rounded small sensor?

I would say about 8mp would cover most ordinary persons needs.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow