OMD + one lens for mountaineering

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Questions thread
mchnz
Contributing MemberPosts: 553Gear list
Like?
Re: 9-18
In reply to kenw, Mar 28, 2013

I would favour the 9-18.  I do find the old 4/3/ Olympus 9-18 very good for such places.  Because I have this old lens and the 12-50, I have not bothered with the m4/3 9-18.

I only go up mountains that can be hiked up or scrambled up, so my needs probably vary from yours.  I know you have rejected the 12-50 but I must confess I'm growing rather fond of it.  Its weather/dust sealing is very useful - rock flour or rain is not an issue.  It covers the normal perspective, but 12mm is quite wide as well.  The macro capability is useful.   And then there's the power zoom for movies.  Plus it's cheap enough to be breakable (but I do use a UV filter - rock dust is sharp stuff).

If you are into tripodless panorama's the the level indications in the E-M5 are really very useful, and the 9-18 would be great for the job.

I find I can stow the 12-50+E-M5 in a D-RES 30 padded case attached to my pack hip-belt by mini-carabiners, so I don't find the pair too bulky to carry.  I have also used an Aarn pack with front balance pockets.  But I guess a climber's stowage requirements would be quite different from a hikers.

Various recent samples in my gallery here and at flickr.

mchnz's gear list:mchnz's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow