Like?
TG-2 sample shot at ISO 100 and my initial impression
Mar 28, 2013

F2

F2.8

F2

F2.8

F2.8

First day I use this camera. Mix feeling.  First impression is not happy with the IQ.  Of course I am not expecting NEX-5N IQ but can't even compare with LX5

What I found is for wide position F2.8 is sharper than F2

The day that I take the photo is not in good lighting, cloudy but still the IQ is disappointing to me

So basically this is the IQ you can expect in cloudy lighting

Both HDR and handheld starlight is useless at only 3MP

below an example of HDR from scene mode

Any comment welcome

Night time photo is another story will cover in another post

other observation is that although screen is same 3 inch as NEX-5N it feel smaller and there are dark bars at the side .  Screen is OK but nothing exceptional definitely worse than NEX-5N but good enough for waterproof camera

Battery life is exceptional take 174 pics and a short movie, battery indicator still show full battery

Image stabilization is not good. I will talk about that more in  another post about High ISO but don't think of go to single digit in shutter speed, very likelly to blur

what is surprising is that some 1/15 and 1/30 shot also blur . I am still not sure whether that is due to handshake or focus not lock at all in low light . Kind of hard to believe 1/30 shot in 25mm equivalent can have handshake

Focus fast in daytime but not super fast compare to me previous TX5 and TS1.  Nighttime focus is not so fast and I am not even sure if focus is lock at all as said above

The short movie has lots of wind noise with microphone set to "low" recording level.  I don't speak but that wind noise would surely take away all conversation.  Video take at night and IQ not good.  See If I can post it to youtube later

That's all I can think of now.  My impression is that I am not very satisfied with it. Just OK in IQ to me for a waterproof camera

When all at ISO 100 I think IQ is worse than Panasonic TS1 and Sony TX5 2009 and 2010 camera.  Especially compare with 10MP TX5 I think less sharp and less detail capture when both at ISO 100.  This is just my impression as no comparison can be done.  I already lost my TX5 in the sea, sad as that is a very good waterproof camera

Except for the F2 lens no real advancement in 3-4 years

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 (Lumix DMC-FT1) Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow