Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Brad Davis
Regular MemberPosts: 233
Like?
Re: Suitable D600 Alternative When Size/Weight Are An Issue
In reply to jquagga, Mar 28, 2013

jquagga wrote:

Brad Davis wrote:

With this criteria and a target budget of say 1k to 1,500 tops, I've been looking at a Sony NEX-6 with their new 16-60 power zoom (collapses quite small) or a Fuji X100s or even a used X100. I do realize the Fuji's are fixed focal length, but my theory there is I
shoot quite often with my 16-35 (usually on my camera) and I'm typically shooting at focal lengths on the upper end of that lens so it puts me near the fixed focal length of the Fuji. If I need wider angle, I can utilize the built in panorama function.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions? I realize this is pretty open ended and certainly I don't want to start a massive debate on this camera vs that camera, but just wondering about people's thoughts/reactions to the process I am going through here...thanks....

Well, do you have a lot of experience with a mirrorless system?  It might drive you nuts or you might like the lack of a burden.  I'm actually a Nikon DX shooter (who pines for a D600 and hence came upon your thread) and I have a tiny m43 system which I use when I go somewhere not as a photographer but I still want to take photos.  It has severe limitations compared to my DSLR - notably battery life but it's tiny and goes in a backpack - not taking up the entire backpack.

Why don't you rent one of these setups for a little bit and see if they are your bag of tea before committing to buying one?  If you don't like it, take the D600.  If you do, I'm sure plenty of people will be happy to sell you one!

Exactly what I am thinking--have a work trip to Germany in a few weeks and will have a bit of sightseeing time so planning to rent an X100 to try it out....the more I read comments here though the more I am contemplating two primes and my D600 or perhaps I will twist my daughter's arm and take her D5100 with a couple of primes....hmmm....decisions, decisions.

Do appreciate everyone's thoughts though and just saw the post about buying an X100 for New Zealand trip--really interested in your thoughts on that and how the trip goes!

Thanks folks--great resource here!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow