Software - Request for recommendation

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Questions thread
Spillicus
Contributing MemberPosts: 678Gear list
Like?
Re: Software - Request for recommendation
In reply to jaygreg, Mar 28, 2013

I like Lightroom for this sort of thing.  My parents bought a slide scanner and digitized a bunch of old photos (616 of them, to be exact...) and sent them my way with on a DVD.  With Ligthroom I have been:

- Color correcting, it's amazing the improvement even of old, relatively low resolution jpegs you can get just by fixing white balance and very quick auto tone, and then a 10 second review per image to fix anything the computer doesn't quite get right.

- Correcting the file dates to the actual date the image was taken, or as close as possible

- Tagging with GPS locations, as Lightroom has a Google powered Maps function

- Tagging with Keywords.  This is freeform, so I believe you could use this for names, events or whatever.  It's added to EXIF info of the image, so you can see the tags outside Lightroom, like in Windows and using Windows search will bring up results with the tag

It's working out well, but it is somewhat time consuming.  With Lightroom it is very easy to automate a lot of things (for instance, everything gets imported into a catalog, and at that point I specify to tag it with a slide keyword, auto white balance and auto tone, which if not perfect usually puts things in a good starting condition).  But I'd say my pace of doing the whole fix the picture, tag the picture, geotag and export runs roughly 2 pictures/minute.  Faster if larger numbers of pictures are at the same event/location, but when it cost money to process rolls of slide film, almost all the batches are smaller than 24!

Anyways, I'd recommend Lightroom.  It's not the cheapest, but it's money well spent.

Spillicus's gear list:Spillicus's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow