Suitable D600 Alternative When Size/Weight Are An Issue

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
rpps
Senior MemberPosts: 1,090Gear list
Like?
Re: Suitable D600 Alternative When Size/Weight Are An Issue
In reply to joeyv, Mar 28, 2013

I have been pondering the same issue as you , I'm planning a trip to New Zealand soon and I don't want to lug a D600 and my Tamron 24-70 f2.8 around. Yesterday I ordered a Fuji X100 ( $720 ) it has a fixed lens which is equivalent to a 35mm on a FF camera, I have never seen the camera  or used it but going by all the reviews the image quality and exposures are pretty spot on. It has a few minor quirks to it so I am lead to believe but I like that it has a APS_C type sensor so the image quality should be good.

I get wonderful images out of my D600 but I shoot RAW and edit in CNX2 and after a days shooting it's a big task editing all my RAW files.

I'm hoping the reviews are right as they say that the OOC Jpegs are great and hardly need any adjustment or need to shoot RAW

For practice the last few days I fitted the D600 with my Nikon 35mm f 2 Lens to see what it would be like shooting all day with it and would I miss a zoom lens. At present I think I could manage quiet well with the fixed lens and boy a fixed prime is so much better IQ wise than a zoom lens.

With the D600 you can crop so much and that option gives you a lot of flexibility with a 35mm lens and less weight.

rpps's gear list:rpps's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow