Sony Zeiss 24mm - What is so special?

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
NowHearThis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,300Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony Zeiss 24mm - What is so special?
In reply to DRode, Mar 28, 2013

DRode wrote:

What makes this lens particularly desirable? Ignoring the famous name for a moment, what does this lens bring to the table that makes it worth over $1,000.

I've been fairly impressed with the 35mm f1/.8. It's sharp, fast focuses accurately and low distortion and CA and, unlike the Zeiss, has OSS.

The Sigma 19m and 30mm bracket the 24mm focal length. They are not stabilized either. But they are small lightweight and perform well. The 30mm appears to be especially sharp. Either lens can be had for under $200 and the soon to be released refreshed lenses might be better.

I've seen some images from the Zeiss that were very nice. Some were excellent. However, I've seen excellent images from all of the lenses mentioned above. What I'm trying to understand is what make the Zeiss worth 2x, 3x even 5x as much?

Color, Contrast.  Shoot with some great glass and you'll understand.  There may be sharper lenses out there, but the "look" you get out of the 24mm Zeiss is unequalled in the E-mount.  And that "look" is sometimes what people are willing to pay for.

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow