Fuji XE1 versus Nex 6 image quality

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,570Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji XE1 versus Nex 6 image quality
In reply to blue_skies, Mar 27, 2013

blue_skies wrote:

Also, a camera that overstates its ISO will make its user believe that the camera performs better in low light situations.

Put the results in post-editing, and you'd be surprised that the results are all the same - sensor size and sensor generation determine much of ISO noise.......

I agree with the original poster - the results, especially after post-editing, are so close that it doesn't make a noticeable difference.

Anyone who comments on major difference, is not compare the image IQ, but the OOC results.

I agree with all this. The Fuji JPG engine is simply amazing, and the Fujis seem to overstate their ISOs a little. To show an X-Trans camera is better than another, you just need to compare out of camera JPG images shot at the same ISO. For those with no interest in RAW, IMO the Fuji cameras should be well up the shopping list.

To see the reality from RAW, you can download the RAWs from the DPR site and process them yourself. Here's one I did as best I could for the NEX-7 and X-Pro1 at the same shutter speed and f-stop (so presumably they are at about the same photometric exposure).

These are so close it hardly matters considering the amount of magnification required to get down to this level. I slightly prefer the NEX-7 image, as it holds more detail and has a finer grain pattern.

The 16M pixel NEX image also looks very similar to the X-Pro1 image. This is the highest ISO available on the site for the Fuji in RAW. I believe they go higher in JPG by extending the range in software.

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow