Nikon DSLR --> Mirrorless

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Texchappy
Regular MemberPosts: 186Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon DSLR --> Mirrorless
In reply to mgn2, Mar 27, 2013

If it were me I'd keep the D40 (it's a very good camera and you won't get too much for it) with probably the 18-55 (same reason).  I'd return the D5100.  I'd put that money aside to get what you decide you want.

Then I'd shoot the X100 until I learned how to increase the keepers from it.  It really is a powerful tool but takes some learning to master.  BTW, have you updated the firmware on the X100?  If not, that will help.  The Autofocus system (contrast detection AF) is slower but more accurate than the PDAF found on DLSR's.  I've heard good things about the wide angle converter lens for the X100.

If you can master the X100 and be happy with it then I'd guide you to the X Pro 1/XE1 if you feel you need more variety.  If you decide it's not for you, then I'd suggest selling it and taking that and the money from the 5100 and getting a D7100.

Just my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth.  Good luck with what you seek.

Texchappy's gear list:Texchappy's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 650D Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow