D7100 gets DXO'd

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,085Gear list
Like?
Re: And no AA filter and Re: With greater resolution.
In reply to nfpotter, Mar 27, 2013

nfpotter wrote:

wlad wrote:

nfpotter wrote:

wlad wrote:

nfpotter wrote:

wlad wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

And most people will never actually reach the 14EV of DR or the extra color depth these cameras allow for. It's just beyond most (including mine) people's abilities.

Every time you take a shot during a sunny day, you make use of the 14 EV dynamic range. In fact, even then the camera has to decide if it wants to preserve the highlights or shadows - because 14EV is far from enough to capture a scene in direct sunlight without clipping any channels.

Completely not true.

tell that to all those "noobs" using graduated ND filters - you know better after all !

Oh, please.  This is simple stuff.

Example: I'm taking a picture of a white wall in sunlight.  Pretty far from 14 EV or DR.

Another example: I'm shooting on a sunny day, but at f/16 for needed DOF, and because of the SS I needed, that forces the use of ISO 800, for example.  NOT 14 EV of DR anymore.

I'm glad you figured out what it's like to shoot in bright daylight after all.

Um, HUH?

Well, it's obvious that DR depends on lighting and how scene reflects/absorbs it, so I can't see how this argument started. My point was that in-camera jpegs and usual camera profiles of converters have tone curves comfpressing data into about 9-10 EV of DR, as most tests show. But even there, the lowest 2-3EV are actually mostly blacks in typical jpegs. So one needs to work harder in PP to get them to show anything interesting.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow