Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brad Davis
Regular MemberPosts: 233
Like?
Suitable D600 Alternative When Size/Weight Are An Issue
Mar 27, 2013

I've done quite a bit of research, but wonder about the take of those here in the forum on this topic. I regularly shoot a D600, most frequently used lenses include Nikkor 16-35, 70-200 VRII, Sigma 35 1.4 and a Tamron 28-70 for good measure along with a few other primes. I
mostly do travel/landscape stuff and sports given both my daughters are athletes.

While I am typically not against slinging the camera over my shoulder and hauling it a lot of places most people wouldn't, there are still some instances where it is just not realistic to cart a FF dslr and decent glass, not to mention multiple lenses.

For example, I will be hiking the Inca Trail in September (yes, I've read all the threads in this, and other, forums on the place and various lenses, who shoots what etc). Despite hearing some folks say they have loaded up their gear and carried it on the trail, I just
don't think I want that hassle. I want to be able to get some good photos and enjoy the trip/share with others, but this isn't a 'photography dominated' trip and I'm going with a group of friends--don't want them to feel like I've brought 25 pounds of gear to document the journey for the BBC.

Then again, I'm particular about my images and certainly recognize that I'm going to a phenomenal place to practice my craft. So, I'm torn between taking the dslr or investing in a high quality compact to take along. My thought process has been that if I invest in a
compact, I really do want it to be significantly smaller than my D600 with even just a prime on it--something I could easily store in a backpack hip belt pocket or cargo pants pocket etc.

With this criteria and a target budget of say 1k to 1,500 tops, I've been looking at a Sony NEX-6 with their new 16-60 power zoom (collapses quite small) or a Fuji X100s or even a used X100. I do realize the Fuji's are fixed focal length, but my theory there is I
shoot quite often with my 16-35 (usually on my camera) and I'm typically shooting at focal lengths on the upper end of that lens so it puts me near the fixed focal length of the Fuji. If I need wider angle, I can utilize the built in panorama function.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions? I realize this is pretty open ended and certainly I don't want to start a massive debate on this camera vs that camera, but just wondering about people's thoughts/reactions to the process I am going through here...thanks....

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Nikon D600 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow