I think Thom was right, again...

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 11,076Gear list
Like?
Underwater
In reply to Teila Day, Mar 27, 2013

I have limited underwater photography experience.  Only 135 dives so far, 100 or so with a camera, and all of that with point-n-shoots in dive housings.

Like some people hate big cameras and lenses for travel, I don't think I'd necessarily like the high-dollar underwater rigs.   I bought an Ikelite AF-35 external strobe for my point-n-shoots, and it completely changed the diving experience.   It would be the equivalent of a long distance running going from a cell phone camera to a DSLR - it's just not portable enough to match what he was used to.   The idea of getting great shots from a DSLR with twin strobes on articulated boom arms sounds great.  The idea of diving with that rig doesn't, and then there is the question of getting all that stuff to and from a dive destination.

So I can't answer your strobe and water question.   I currently use a Canon s95 in a matching Canon housing, with a diffuser panel over the built-in flash.  I'm trying to find an equivalent way to do that with my Nikon V1, but the flash is a problem.    The s95 is my fourth Canon point-n-shoot in matching Canon housing, and considering you can get the entire rig (housing and camera) for about $400, then stick it in your BC pocket to get on or off the boat, it's a deal.

By the way, I found pretty clear water in Fiji, Cozumel, Roatan and Aruba.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Duh!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow