Finally...Tamron beats Nikon

Started Mar 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,905Gear list
Like?
Re: Finally...Tamron beats Nikon
In reply to krikman, Mar 27, 2013

krikman wrote:

Being caught by such opinion I've tested this Tammy against Nikkor and found many things:

1. In testing Tamron is absolutely sharp at 300 mm even at close distance.

2. At far distance >30m Nikkor as sharp.

I'd tend to agree with this, which makes the Nikon weaker when shooting candids at 250-300mm. That is a STRONG reason for owning a 70-300 and the Tamron is better.

3. At about > 300m Nikkor sharper

You needed to make an AF fine tune perhaps, but a few others have had issues at long distances. However I posted pics above of the sailboat with crops. No one has posted shots from the Nikon 70-300 that are as sharp and I'm well beyond 300m. Samples speak louder than words.

4. Tamron poor at focus tracking and Nikkor rings feels better.

Neither tracks great I'm afraid. I've got better glass for that.

5. Despite Tamron is 4-5.6 vs Nikkor 4.5-5.6, Tamron is actually darker at most focal lenghts except 70mm. This confirms by DXO

Hmmmm. Interesting. Yet my sample exposes about the same as my 70-200 VRII at the same F-stops.

6. Harsh, rough bokeh of Tamron makes no comparisons with sweety smooth longtitudal transition from sharp focus of Nikkor.

I posted a bokeh comparison already and the Tamron does quite well. On Fred Miranda someone else did one set of tests and you could see no difference in the bokeh.

7. VR action better in Tamron, but if VR fails it ruins picture. Nikkor works somewhat predictable.

Sorry, but the VC is VASTLY better than the VR in my 70-200 VRII and at least as good as the VRIII in the new 70-200.

So it was tough comparison, I've tested 3 copies of Tamron but Nikkor win.

I only had one sample of the Tamron and I kept it. But I did own two copies of the 70-300vr. I always post samples so there's no doubt that I'm using the stuff I'm commenting on!

I typically did not shoot the 70-300vr at the long end, where it was weakest. But this is not the case with the Tamron, which I can shoot at 300mm with no concern. It is incredibly sharp and does not need to be stopped down.

I repeat my 1st point that catch all Tamron users: When we make our first test photo in store at 300 mm from 3m, Tamron feels great! But overall no.

I'd like to see some of your samples. I'm guessing if you tried 3 Tamron lenses you probably have a lot of shots. I'd also like to see shots from the Nikon at 300mm that are sharp. Can we see?

Thanks,

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
VCNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow