Started Mar 27, 2013 | Questions thread
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 25,230Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M5 Lens question or two.
In reply to PAUL TILL, Mar 27, 2013

PAUL TILL wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

I think the 12-50 has unacceptable soft edges at 12mm. Other people maybe don't have that problem.

At 14mm, the smaller, lighter and less expensive m.zuiko 14-42mm II kit lens has better image quality in my opinion.

At longer focal lengths, the 12-50 is generally as good or better than the 14-42mm II.

Perhaps the 12-50 has better wide open performance than the 14-42mm II which needs to be stopped down. Although remember that "wide open" isn't really that wide open on either of these kit lenses, but even less so on the 12-50.

I usually use the 14-42m II, because of the size/weight and I just like it better. And I have the lens hood for the 14-42mm II.

The 12-50mm is designed to look and feel like a more premium lens than the 14-42mm II, but it doesn't deliver premium image quality.

Have you actually used one? I see you shoot a PEN, don't they come with the fiddly 14-42mm?

Just to interject here, Paul. . .

I should learn how to read MTF charts and other aspects of lens design so I can speak of them accurately, but I haven't to date.   My touchy-feely impression of the 12-50 is that it lacks a clarity or sharpness that the 12-35 for example delivers.  Microcontrast might be term that applies (or would it be related to LPI. . . [shrug])

The 12-50 as I last recall my time with it just calls for a little stronger finessing of the output in post than it takes for the lenses they're compared against.    Not everything, or everyone, calls for that level of refinement (some pixel peepers never print, even!).  Pixel peepers call it right when they point out the difference (though Sigala is usually an opinion unto himself), but when pointed out it always puts the 12-50 in a worse light than it actually shines under.  It's rather  remarkable for a 'kit lens'.  But like any other, it's not perfect.  Oh, woe us any imperfection. . . [g]

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow