Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,128Gear list
Like?
nope ...
In reply to tman1991, Mar 27, 2013

tman1991 wrote:

PAUL TILL wrote:

6MP is more than enough for an A3 print.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

(did you mean a3 or a3+ ?)

Makes no difference. A3+ is a standard because that happens to be the largest size paper most large format ink jets can handle.

And Paul is dead on that 6mp is enough, although there is the presumption that the 6mp is of sufficient pixel quality to support enlargement.

And there is the rub ...

To get the skinny on all this, consider reading this article:

http://www.bythom.com/printsizes.htm

maybe.. But thats less than 200dpi.. Which really is pushing the limits..

It sounds like you would naively accept 400 horrifically poor quality pixels over 100 stunningly sharp pixels. I have printed 12x18 with output from the 4mp D2Hs and the prints look amazing. And this was of a bride-to-be with fine hair and such.

If you read the article I linked, and look at most of Thom Hogans reviews from the past, he is quite clear on this issue of pixel quality. Doubling resolution is simply not a problem when the pixels are very good.

I have printed 8MP A3+, but prefer 12 or 16.

If they are superb pixels, then you can see a slight difference when you double resolution to 16mp (12 will be pretty much invisible if you shot both images competently.) But to double linear resolution and make an obvious difference, you actually need to increase resolution by 4x.

And if you say you are printing 6MP at A3+ most will laugh at you.

As Paul says, who are these most you are quoting?

In fact, generalizations that ignore pixel quality are laughable.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow