Good 50mm Lens For Sony Nex ... on a Budget?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
Re: Good 50mm Lens For Sony Nex ... on a Budget?
In reply to shaolin95, Mar 27, 2013

Well, plenty of suggestions have already been made and I don't have anything to add on that front...but Louno, might I ask why you want shallow depth of field? Picturing most food photography situations in my head, I imagine you're going to have the camera around 2-4ft away from your subject most of the time. At 4ft away, 50mm, and an aperture as narrow as f/8, you're going to have just enough DoF to cover an entire plate. F/1.4 would get you about one tater tot in focus. Therefore, if you're truly budget-minded, you can almost totally ignore any lens' max aperture (to a point). I'd therefore vote for the already-mentioned Olympus 50/1.8. Cheap, sharp, and very small!

One of the food blogs that pops to mind when I think of "food photography" is The Smitten Kitchen. Her photography is one of the things that's made her so popular...and 90% of what makes that photography so appealing is the light she uses. But if you check out each individual photo, they're almost all taken with a 5D2 at 50mm and f/5...which means on your NEX you'd need a lowly max aperture of something like f/3.5. Doable with pretty much any 50mm prime in history!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow