Help me plan a system upgrade...

Started Mar 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,438
Like?
Re: Well, Jim, you were right
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Mar 27, 2013

Jim Cockfield wrote:

Do you mean a GT 640, or GTX 650Ti.  Nvidia doesn't make a GTX 640Ti card.

Sorry, GTX 650Ti.

I think that SATA 0 and 1 are both SATA III ports, and SATA 2 and 3 are SATA II ports from what I can see of discussions about them.  So, I'd use either SATA 0 or 1 for the SSD.

Thanks. I thought that might be the case and will proceed accordingly.

2. I'm guessing it will arrive with the BIOS set to UEFI. I'm inclined to turn that off. Any thoughts?

You can't just turn it off, since the Windows 8 install is using it.  You'd need to reinstall Windows 8 from scratch to switch to a legacy MBR setup.

That's going to be an issue with Dell Systems that come preinstalled with Win 8, as I get the feeling from previous threads about it that the recovery disks you can create will expect the original UEFI setup to work; and that Dell is no longer shipping standard Win 8 install disks with them.

Because OEMs like Dell are using a new Win 8 activation technique where you don't have a COA sticker with a valid license code (it's embedded into the BIOS firmware), you can't just download a copy of Win 8 and install it either.

Basically, you'll need to "jump through hoops" to get a Windows 8 install disk that includes a valid license key in order to reinstall it.   Fun.

Now.... it's my understanding that this software might work for that purpose.  Yea... it's approx. $20.

Ick. Well, as far as I'm concerned, having a real install disk is a must and I will not compromise.

I'd like to have that option with Win 8 and will investigate further. But I'm not going to make a career of that and if it doesn't work out, I'll just xfer Win 7 Pro from my old machine. I think I have a spare copy of Win 7 Home that I can put on that although I may just install Linux.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow