Warning. Honest.

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,389Gear list
Like?
Re: I keep five copies of every file
In reply to DotCom Editor, Mar 27, 2013

DotCom Editor wrote:

Files are never, ever stored locally on any computer's hard drive at my home. All files are stored on an Ethernet-connected NAS array running in RAID 5 configuration. This array is mirrored to a second NAS RAID array. The first array is also mirrored to yet another NAS RAID array that's located across town. That's three copies. All files are backed up to a series of USB-connected external drives that are in rotation and stored in the safe deposit box at my bank. That's four copies. Finally, all files are stored -- NOT backed up, but stored -- at an online cloud service that I consider reliable. That's five copies. It is essential to understand that storage and back up are NOT the same thing.

The one thing that screws this up is that Lightroom catalogs must be stored locally. I do that, but keep backups of the catalogs in all five of my aforementioned storage locations.

I sleep very well at night.

. . . maybe with your pants on . . . along with your belt and suspenders? Just joking. Most folks aren't THAT serious.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow