New Canon Rebel closing the gap on M4/3s

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,660
Like?
Why I don't think it is.
In reply to Jere Landis, Mar 27, 2013

Thom has just re;eased an analysis of camera sales. Ehile others have commented on the sales figures(miirorless flat and low penetration in USA, compact sales falling steeply) he picked up an interesting point. It is the lower priced models in all categories where sales are falling off, the top end models are holding or increasing.

I think this shows that photographers, as distinct from snapshooters, want fully featured, top range cameras. The more casual shooter is moving more to phone cams and it is the middle market that is drying up.

The relevance of this to the post is that I think Canon have it wrong with the new model. If they want to make a dent in the mirrorless sales with a dslr, they need a very classy small dslr, not something that looks like a cut down of an existing model. This is difficult to do. Small dslrs have smaller mirrors and once you do that the viewfinder starts to suffer. If you want OVF you want the biggest possible mirror in there or it is kind of pointless.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow