Serious doubts on the D7100 at high ISO

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
edo21
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
Re: Some more samples and...
In reply to edo21, Mar 27, 2013

After reading all your post and reading the first reviews on the D7100 it's more clear to me the scenario about this camera.

I have to answer two types of observations that emerge from this forum, the first about the D7100 iso performance, the second about photography so if interested read the next post.

In this post on the first topic i start to say that the post production doesn't matter cause we are just testing the capability of a camera.
Overall considerations on my purchase

The D7100 is an improvement of previous nikon dx models but does not shine as i expected.
My personal opinion is that nikon is looking for earning as much is possible, in fact at the moment has a completely incomprensible product line in this segment that is:

D3100 + D3200 + D5100 + D5200 + D90 + D7000 + D7100 + D300S all pontentially able to satisfy most of photography needs apart from personal preferences and particular shooting conditions. The problem is that each model (apart from D300S and D90) seems to be a decreased or a mixed features model respect to what they may be able to offer.
In this product line i'm not able to understand how much does it cost for example a stop or two iso of better performance, how much does it cost a better AF module, how much a better sensor cause every model exceeds another in at least one feature.
Other brand are clearly offering innovations that moved the bar of normal iso performance of their camera at iso 800 and more. I think that in the 2013 a clean range of 800 - 1600 iso would be a normal feature of a camera.

It would distinguish the previous generation (D90 - D300S) from the new generation camera and help customers to be confident in what they are purchasing.

All the samples and the review on the web agree on the fact that the D7100 starts to show increasing noise from 400 iso.

More samples

That said, here are some more samples i made with the D7100 and the Tokina 100 Macro at full res. All with no D-Lighting - Normal NR in camera - Standard Picture Control with default settings at 1600 iso and tripod.

D7100 + Tokina 100 iso 1600

And this is a D90 sample with the same settings

D90 + Tokina 100 iso 1600

It's of all evidence that the D7100 under very controlled shooting situation has more resolving power better auto white balance and better iso performance but not as i expected from a 5 years newer camera in comparison with the D90 that's a benchmark of dx segment, even if you have more chance in printing.
More, in my opinion the 24 mp sensor in outdoor situation without tripod needs all your best ability and lenses to get distinguishable results from the other nikon dx products, in the right hand all the nikon dx products may give excellent results.

edo21's gear list:edo21's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
lessNew
noneNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow