Warning. Honest.

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,479Gear list
Like?
Re: Warning. Honest.
In reply to rmiller85, Mar 27, 2013

rmiller85 wrote:

Local backups are at best 1/2 the solution. When a burglar or fire claim both your computer and local backup, you'll wish you had something else. Offsite storage is critical.

I just recently started using AWS Glacier for super cheap cloud storage (1 cent / GB / month). There are several clients available that make backing up to the service completely handsoff (incremental backups like Time Machine). I haven't found cheaper storage anywhere. The downside is that it is an archival tier of storage, so you will pay to get your data back (5% of your data can be downloaded for free each day, after that you'll pay an additional 1 cent / GB).

I'm working on something along those lines.  I have plenty of storage capacity here in the house, and I've made some of it accessible to my daughter-in-law over the internet.  (Rsync, and similar tech).    She happens to have a large house and good internet, and I'm going to build another NAS and put it in her basement.  Then I'll back up my files a second time over to that system, plus she can put her files on it too.    It's going to be a lot cheaper and more secure over the long run than paying Carbonite or Moxy to store terabytes of data.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow