Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
engbert
Senior MemberPosts: 2,335
Like?
Shameless display of wealth, 80-400 & 5t
Mar 27, 2013

I have replaced my Sigma 50-500mm OS with the new Nikon 80-400mm AF-S.  I am happy with the change, but do miss being able to take the occasional near macro with the Bigma.  The new lens will not focus nearly as close.

However, as with the Bigma, it is easy to screw on a close up achromat - in this case the Nikon 5T, which allow this to be taken.  This is the whole frame downsized for the web.  The coins were 32 inches from the film plane, with focal length of 220mm.

It required stepping down from 77mm to 62mm.  At present I use 3 step down rings, but a single 77-62mm is on order.  On a DX camera these can remain on the lens - you do not need all of those 77mm.  There is no vignetting.  So you do not need 77mm accessories - filters, shades, etc., can all be 62mm.  I use a collapsible rubber 62mm chade.  And you get additional mechanical protection of the lens.

Of course a dedicated macro lens would be better, but his is nice to have on a walk, and does not require changing lens in the filed, which I try to avoid.

Nikon no longer makes the two element achromats like the 5T, but Canon and Marumi make something similar.  Single element close up filters I have seen have been horrid.

Since I have just got the new lens and camera, I have not had time to explre all these possibilities yet.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/bertramm
pbase & dpreview supporter

Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow