Warning. Honest.

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,876Gear list
Like?
Re: A solution
In reply to Edward Sargent, Mar 27, 2013

Edward Sargent wrote:

I would think just access to the data is gone, replace the controller and the data is back

Might want to rethink that.

RAID controllers can be very specific.   You don't necessarily just replace one with another and find that it recognizes your array.

Companies go out of business.   They also update products.  Suppose you have a PCI RAID5 controller and it goes bad.  If the company that made that controller is now gone, or moved on to other products, or just updated to PCI-x models, you may not be able to get the old controller card.

I'm (hoping) to get around this issue by doing (linux- or free BSD-based) software RAID5.   And so far it's worked for at least one drive failure in a 4-disk RAID5 array.   May not be the fastest, but I don't need ultimate speed on my backup system.  (OpenFiler, in case anyone wonders.  Also have a fast Freenas box doing software RAID pretty well with more CPU hardware used as an iSCSI target).

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow