NEX Birding - Spring Migration (55-210+DH1758)

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,617Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX Birding - Spring Migration (55-210+DH1758)
In reply to S3ZAi, Mar 27, 2013

S3ZAi wrote:

Very nice pictures as always. Lovely birds and inspiring shots.

Would the DH1758 also fit the 18200LE, so I might join the que of people looking for that add-on? Wish sony would make a new version of it with decent quality and not too expensive...

I would love to say yes, but sadly I don't think it would do as well on the 18-200LE as on the 55-210.  The thread size on your lens is 62mm, which is fairly large - the extender is 58mm, so you'd need a step down ring to mount it.  The problem would be that you'd have severe vignetting at least in the wider end - I'm not sure if it would stop vignetting once you zoom all the way to 200mm, but it might.  The reason is pairs well with the 55-210 is because of the narrower 49mm thread size - even on the 55-210mm you get some vignetting at the wider end, up to about 70-75mm or so.

If you had the opportunity to test out the extender, then you could determine if you get any vignetting at full zoom - or maybe take a measure of the inside element of the DH1758 and create a paper cutout to place over your lens - see if the paper with the cut-out hole stops vignetting at 200mm.

Good luck, and thank you for the kind comments!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow