Serious doubts on the D7100 at high ISO

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kelly M Jones
Regular MemberPosts: 394
Like?
Re: Serious doubts on the D7100 at high ISO .. I too hate PP, but, with every camera..
In reply to karlreed, Mar 27, 2013

karlreed wrote:

I don't have time to read all the posts, but, i wanted to add my feelings about PP.

My goal, as with my film shooting, is get shots I don't need to PP. Using my Contax G1 and Nikon F90s, (and whatever i had in the previous 30 years), I did what i could to get the best picture (not image). I used the best film I could afford, mainly in the ten years before I went digital, Agfa Optima 200iso. I dropped my film at the semi-pro lab at Greensborough Photo and Video, and, the team there always did a great job.

I concentrated on the picture..

Now, I LR4.4, iPhoto, Silkypix, Olympus, Canon and Sony's IDC, each of which has a steep learning curve.

Each also, have given me kittens when I have started to look at my first shots from any new camera, even my D700, and, especially my RX100.

Yes, the digital age is about PP, but, when I have spent A$3700 on a camera, (as I did on my D700 in 2008), I really expect that I won't have to do a lot of PP.

But, four of my friends are real PP wizards, and two are pro (the other two should be). All run Photoshop, and, tell me I should also.

What I have learned, however, is that OOC jpgs can be really quite good enough for almost anything. So, I now shoot raw plus hi-definition jpg, and load each separately into LR4.4.

So, I have the RAWs if I should need them, and, can concentrate on the picture.

-- hide signature --

karl reed

I think that's a smart work flow. I've recently been using raw+small jpeg and trying to get the in-camera settings as perfect as possible for what I'm shooting. If I get the exposure I want, then my jpgs are pretty much ready to go as-is. If the subject is special, then I can go back to the raw to do some real PP. I'll see how it works out as my current LR4 Raw-only workflow is pretty darn quick with the correct presets.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
lessNew
noneNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow