Why I Prefer the E-5 over the OM-D

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
GNapp Studios
Regular MemberPosts: 386
Like?
Re: Actually, you are wrong...
In reply to daddyo, Mar 27, 2013

daddyo wrote:

Regarding the ND filter, your statement is only true if shooting in an 'auto' mode -- Auto, Program, Aperture Priority, or Shutter Priority.

The OP is a professional and I doubt that he is generally shooting outdoor portraits in anything other than Manual. In manual, a polarizing filter will reduce exposure by about one and a half stops which allows you to simply adjust shutter speed to control bright, sunny backgrounds when using flash. The flash sync speed for the E-5 and the E-M5 are both 1/250 Sec, so that is not an issue.

Shooting with an ND filter is a very viable solution to the ISO issue, and in fact the case could well be made that using a polarizing filter would likely result in better color and nicer looking skies -- if the sky is part of the background.

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

For shots where I am trying to overpower the sun I do use manual mode.

The E-5 has a maximum sync speed of 1/250th.  Outside I have even pushed that to 1/500th of a second (Although a small section of your picture will only be lit by ambient light, not the flash).  The lower ISO just gives me one more f stop to play with.  Even if I use a +4 ND filter, I would have that additional f stop with a 100 iso.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow