Compact Field Monitor For D800

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,975Gear list
Like?
Re: Compact Field Monitor For D800
In reply to jhinkey, Mar 27, 2013

jhinkey wrote:

Often times I find myself struggling to use live view on my D800 while trying to obtain critical focusing for landscape shots on a tripod either due to the sun on the rear LCD or the position of the camera.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a compact field monitor solution that will allow me to view the what's being shown via live view with enough resolution, etc. to make critical focusing adjustments?

Corded via the USB out or HDMI out is fine and it can either be a dedicated field monitor or an Android-based tablet/phone device.  If an Android device which app?

Thanks -

John

I use my Surface Pro 128. USB 3.0 connection to the camera. Excellent resolution (much better than D800 live view). I have loaded ControlMyNikon, PSCS6, LR4, DXO Optics Pro 8, Helicon Focus/Remote, Focal and many more PC programs. This morning I used it to check the calibration of some of my lens in a location that was not near my primary desktop. I have set it up so it boots and looks just like my desktop Win7 Ultimate. For all intents and purposes it is a small and fast 64 bit computer.

I also have an Android Zoom tablet which will also control the D800. Can process photographs using Adobe PS Touch. The Zoom is just not flexible enough and with the Surface Pro I have not found a PC program it will not run.

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow