On board flash importance

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Rexgig0 Senior Member • Posts: 3,194
Re: On board flash importance

Is an on-board flash important to me? Well, I can certainly do without it, as I have several attachable flash units, from 320EX on the low end to 580EX II on the high end, and a Canon Macro Ring Flash, but there are times, when an opportunity for a quick shot presents itself in low light, that the only flash quick enough to capture the moment is the pop-up flash available at the tough of a button. The light provided by the pop-up flash may not be the best, of course, and one of my favored lenses on a 7D, the 10-22mm EF-S, blocks part of the light from a pop-up flash, so pop-up flash certainly has its limitations.

When using my full-frame and 1.3x-crop Canons, or my Nikon F6, pop-up flash is not an option, and I often choose not to carry a flash unit with me, even in low light, so I do know how to live without flash, though some opportunities for images will simply be missed. Such is life.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +30 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
(unknown member)
BAK
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow