Serious doubts on the D7100 at high ISO

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
fireplace33
Senior MemberPosts: 1,501Gear list
Like?
Re: A simple and incredibly effective solution to your problem.
In reply to mnodonnell, Mar 27, 2013

mnodonnell wrote:

A tripod.

ahhrrr, Well that was quite obvious, but not really the point.

I for one don't carry a sturdy tripod with me all the time, but I do appreciate what a tripod can do for you. Even a P&S on a tripod at ISO 100 can give reasonable results. You'd expect a much more expensive camera to have as little noise as possible to allow you to handhold for some shots at 1600 ISO.

I'm looking to upgrade from a D90. After weighing up the pros and cons of D7100 vs. D600. I will probably still buy the D7100 (despite this somewhat disappointing noise performance) and also invest in some better glass to win back a stop.

a different thought while I'm here,... one advantage I hear in this forum, of having so many pixels is that you can crop a smaller part out of the image (if necessary) and still have lots of resolution, but then the noise will really hit you at high ISO.

Photography remains a game of compromises!

fireplace33's gear list:fireplace33's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
lessNew
noneNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow