Forum ProPosts: 17,055Gear list
Like?
Re: What I learned from Gollywop -- and what I wonder
In reply to Macx, Mar 27, 2013

Macx wrote:

Anders W wrote:

richarddd wrote:

Macx wrote:

Hmmm? But when talking about stacking, I'm not talking about averaging, I'm talking about adding to the sensor data. This way you get the same amount of extra exposure in the shadows that you would by bracketing, but with the added advantage of extra exposure for the rest of the tonal range too. And perhaps with a lower read noise than base iso, too, if you so prefer.

Stacking images should give you at least as good noise performance in the shadows as bracketing.

What exactly are you doing with the images - what software, what steps?

Macx, Richard, and oliess. I am more than happy to discuss this theme, i.e., what we might want to do by thinking "out of the box" (merging, exposure bracketing, and so on) in this thread (or another one). But I suggest we first try to agree on the contents of "Exposure 101", i.e., what would normally (not always, there are exceptions) be the best we can get in a single shot. Once we are done with that, we can move on to more advanced topics, like the interesting question of when we should either violate the normal rules or proceed beyond single-shot photography. My take on what the normal rules would be is provided here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/51168896

Does that look OK with you as far as "Exposure 101" is concerned?

I was hoping we were pretty much there already. Except for inventing a language for it, where there are still some dents to be buffed out, in my opinion.

I hope we are there by now although I agree that there are certain terminological issues to be settled. But I am not so picky about the terms as long as we know what we are talking about.

Your linked guide seems pretty much spot on for the hands-on-camera aspect of getting the highest quality of raw files out of the camera (especially the E-M5).

Good. So we can move on to the question of when those rules should be violated (there certainly are such cases) and when we can do better by using multiple exposures or other special tricks, e.g., magenta filtering.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BothNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow