Beware of this Trojan-Agent-Iconforamazon.exe

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,658
Like?
use virustotal.com before installing any software
In reply to 3dreal, Mar 27, 2013

I'd suggest always uploading anything you want to install to http://www.virustotal.com

It scans using over 40 Different AV products and reports the results.

Of course, even if *all* of them say a program is clean, that doesn't mean it's not really malware; and sometimes brand new malware is undetected by all major scanners. 

But, it's going to catch most of it.

So, it's a good idea to use an AV product that blocks any suspicious behavior from an application by default, requiring your OK before a program can proceed.

Comodo Internet Security is good about that kind of thing   But, because they are using what I consider to be unscrupulous tactics try and get unsuspecting users to get help via their GeekBuddy service for vague problems, I will no longer recommend them.

I'm in the process of evaluating new AV protection now to replace Comodo, and I'll probably end up using something like Emisoft Anti-Malware in conjunction with other products for extra layers of protection.

For example, you may also want to consider using something like the free version of ThreatFire in conjunction with your AV protection of choice for an added layer of protection (it's uses heuristics only to block suspicious behavior).  I used Threatfire in conjunction with Avira AntiVir Premium and Comodo Firewall for a long time.  Sometimes the alerts were redundant (where more than one AV product required me to OK a program's suspicious behavior).  But, I'd rather have the extra alerts than risk malware getting through.

I'd also make sure to run using a non Admin account.   That's easy if using Vista or newer versions of Windows like Win 7.  Basically, click on your start button and type in Standard User Account into the search box and you'll see a link to set one up.  Running under an Account without Admin permissions decreases the chance of malware installing without your knowledge.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow