Warning. Honest.

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
rgolub
Senior MemberPosts: 2,049Gear list
Like?
Re: Warning. Honest.
In reply to Santelia, Mar 27, 2013

Santelia wrote:

Steve, so time machine will handle the back up without much effort however if the external drive used for the back up fails; disaster strikes. If cloud back up is not an option then back up to 2 HD's might be the alternative? Hoping that if one fails the second one is working fine.
Scary thought I have about 28,000 pics.

I have three (count em) storage areas for pictures - Current stuff that I'm working on stays on the MacPros internal drive.  Older stuff goes to a Synology NAS which is automagically backed up to four different 2 GB external harddrives (one each for photos and video).  One set is taken to work and stuck in a locker and rotated out more or less weekly.

Cheap, easy.  When any hard drive fails (they will), I turn it into magnets and buy another one and put it int he system.  And the best of my pics have relatively a large file copy stored on Flickr so if the whole town gets flattened by a meteorite my family can try and figure out if it's worth paying the upkeep....

The MacPro is backed up by Time Machine on a firewire interface and by two alternating SuperDuper backups of the boot drive.  That way, if the boot drive fails, I just boot off of one or another of the copies until I install a new drive.  If I hose the system by doing Something Stupid (a common occurrence, alas) I have at least one 'known good' copy of the system files.

Belt, suspenders, Velcro....

-- hide signature --

RG
www.lostrange.com

rgolub's gear list:rgolub's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow