Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
soloryb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,017Gear list
Like?
Logan 750-1: Use large carpenter square
Mar 27, 2013

I just bought a Logan Simplex 750-1 and one of the first things I did was to check the squaring arm for 90 deg. I used a 6" X  8" drafting triangle and everything seemed to check out just fine. The squaring arm appeared to be at a perfect right angle to the guide rail, as it should be.

However, when I tried to square a 30" X 40" mat, I couldn't get the mat to be 90 deg. at every corner. I realized that my unit wasn't really squared even though my drafting triangle was telling me all was OK. Finally I used my 18" X 24" carpenter square to more accurately check things out. With the larger square I could just make out a tiny gap (I think less than 1/64") between the squaring arm and the tool at 24". The arm was out of square by so small an amount that it was only observable with the use of the larger carpenter square. I then adjusted the arm and squared several mats with no observable errors.

If you are following Logan's strong suggestion that you square your raw mats before doing anything else, it involves a cut followed by rotating the piece 4 times. If the Logan is even a smidgen out of square then this error is multiplied 4 times. In my case I ended up with a final cut that was between 1/16" and 1/8" off.

From now on I'll check the squareness of the Logan - before every job - with my large carpenter square. It's cheap insurance given the time I wasted and the price of mat boards.

Otherwise, this is one fantastic machine.

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow