Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
StevenN
Contributing MemberPosts: 982Gear list
Like?
Blogger Ming Thein: GH3 a "consumer appliance"
Mar 27, 2013

Yesterday I happened to see a link to a blog by Ming Thien, who, from what I can see, is a well-respected photographer and reviewer of photo equipment. In one particular blog, he gives  thumbnail reviews of dozens of cameras, some complete with a photo of the camera.

To make a long story short, I was dismayed by his terse and largely negative review of Panasonic's GH3 which I reprint here in its entirety:

"Panasonic GH3 (Feb 2013, 6/10) – Great image quality – same sensor as the OM-D – and very fast AF; so-so, hollow-feeling build quality and a terrible UI and button layout. Terrible EVF due to poor quality optics; the add-on LVF2 for the GX and LX series cameras is much, much better, and neither matches the clarity of the OM-D. The target market of videographers are bound to be unhappy as rolling shutter artefacts are terrible. Personally, I just couldn’t get along with this camera – it felt more like a consumer appliance than a photographer’s tool."

Ming gives the GH3 a 6/10 rating, the same rating he gives the Canon SD780IS point 'n' shoot camera.

I wonder how much time he actually spent shooting with the GH3? And I can understand that after playing with Canon 1DsIII's and Nikon D4's all day that a GH3 in comparison can feel somewhat of a lightweight, but a "hollow-feeling build quality?"

I have owned cameras since I was 5 years old, and the GH3 is one of the most solidly-constructed cameras I've ever owned. And as for the much-argued-about EVF, the one on my GH3 is very sharp, bright and clear.

Not to take away from Ming's expertise, because he seems quite knowledgeable, but the GH3 sure feels like a "photographer's tool" to me.

-- hide signature --
 StevenN's gear list:StevenN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Fujifilm X-A1 Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +5 more
Canon EOS-1Ds Nikon D4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow