How many MP to make really good A2 prints?

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Questions thread
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,525
Like?
Re: How many MP to make really good A2 prints?
In reply to Steve Balcombe, Mar 27, 2013

Steve Balcombe wrote:

timccr wrote:

So far then I need to have something between 8 and 34MP. I think I sort of knew I would get answers like that!

Hugowolf mentioned 300 dpi and that's correct for an image which needs to stand close examination at normal reading distance.

There ae other considerations too, including the native RGB input resolution of the machine on which it is to be printed: Epson 360 or 720 ppi, Noritsu 300, 320 , or 400 ppi, etc, etc.

An example which especially comes to mind is the aerial photograph which Glastonbury Festival publishes every year on the final day - A2, and everyone views it at arm's length looking for their tent and reminiscing about a favourite spot on the festival site. 34MP would not be too much for that, but any more would be wasted because the printing process couldn't reproduce it.

Another, but related example would be any panorama, I have yet to see any displayed pano that did not draw viewers to within inches of the print.

Brian A

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow