Compact Field Monitor For D800

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
rgolub
Senior MemberPosts: 2,047Gear list
Like?
Re: Compact Field Monitor For D800
In reply to jhinkey, Mar 27, 2013

I have a Marshall 5" monitor (around $250, I believe) that I don't particularly recommend - cheap Chinese third tier construction, seems to work on a random basis.  Color is fair. With batteries and cable it weighs in at 1100 gm - quite a bit to carry around.  I do use it for video as it's much better than the camera LCD.

There are pricier and better functioning monitors - some with focus peaking which could be helpful for video.  The newer Atmos Ninja does raw video recording as well as acting as a monitor.   It's expensive but probably worth it if you do video.

I've gravitated to the Cam Ranger- a small Wifi hotspot that connects to the camera via USB and has a iPhone app to control it.  My current set up includes the CamRanger and a mini iPad - total weight 360 gms with cables and covers.  Allows you to view the camera from up to 50 - 60 feet reliably.

The main downside is that you need to come up with some sort of mount on the tripod so you can look at the image while framing.  Trying to move a ball head and camera while simultaneously  holding an iPad is a hassle.  You also get for almost free a general purpose computer to run maps, DOF calculators, sunrise calculators and the like.

No, I'm not paid by CamRanger (this is my 4th or 5th post suggesting them), it's just a nice system.  Decent support (you email the developer).

-- hide signature --

RG
www.lostrange.com

rgolub's gear list:rgolub's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow