Question about Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
kenw
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,205Gear list
Like?
Re: Question about Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
In reply to pavinder, Mar 27, 2013

pavinder wrote:

3. Panasonic 100-300mm 4.0-5.6 - all reviews and opinions indicate it's the best long lens.  I also saw a second hand lens at a good price today.

As others mentioned the Oly 75-300 is a good option.  Optically the equal and perhaps a little sharper - but also a little slower as far as aperture goes.  Smaller and lighter.  The new just released version is the same optics as the older one but now better priced and with better lens coatings.

But I'm a little unsure of the 100-300mm and wondering whether I should wait on this too, mainly because the lens is getting on for 3 years old so I wonder if there a strong likelihood of a new lens being released to supercede this, either a brighter lens to complete a Panasonic f2.8 trio, or maybe a comparable Olympus?

Usually lenses have a very long lifetime as products.  If it was going to be replaced it would probably be a minor update like the Olympus 75-300 update which was mostly cosmetic.  Bodies update about one a year, lenses usually take five years or longer.

Further to this, would a 100-300mm f2.8 lens be:

a) possible to make   or

b) prohibitively heavy/large/expensive  anyway?

The front element would have to be 110mm in diameter at a minimum.  That is fairly gigantic even for a FF SLR lens.

-- hide signature --

Ken W
See profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +26 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow