WU-1a with D7100: Underwhelming

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BradM73 Regular Member • Posts: 215
WU-1a with D7100: Underwhelming

So I basically spuzzed my pants when I learned that Nikon was finally releasing a wireless control unit and mobile app to control new Nikon cameras, so when I picked up the D7100, I had my local camera shop order in a WU-1a wireless control unit.  Thankfully they let me try it out before I threw down any cash.  I had no trouble whatsoever in connecting my iPhone to the D7100, but overall functionality is SEVERELY lacking!!!

Basically, the WU-1a with the app has two functions.  Remotely triggering the shutter, and copying the image over to your iPhone, iPad or compatible Android device.  That is all.  The app is version 1.1.  I was incredibly disappointed.  I was hoping to be able to make changes to shutter speed, aperture, ISO and maybe have access to many of the camera controls too, but there was nothing more to be had.

I can't even fully describe my disappointment in the lack of features.  You basically need to completely set up your camera for the picture to be taken, and then you can use your iDevice to frame the image, but other than snapping the picture, you still have to go back to the camera and make all other changes manually.  You can't do bracketing, HDR, interval shooting or anything else either.  The WU-1a completely locks out all controls while it is connected, so you can't access the menu or image review or anything else.  The camera must also run in live view mode, even though the LCD display remains off the entire time.  It's about as simple as you can get. Oh, and the range is about 20 feet before the app loses connection with the WU-1a and the app crashes.

I decided not to purchase it.  For $60 dollars, I can think of many things that will be of far more use to me.  I might consider paying $20 at this point, but no more.  I did feel a bit bad because I was really looking forward to getting on, but it is just not useful at this time.

I definitely think that the potential is there for Nikon to do something really great with the WU-1a, but so far I don't feel it's worth the price. Nikon needs to look at the GoPro app that is currently available for GoPro cameras to learn how it's done!

Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow